They are a powdered facial cleanser that is made of clays, oats, nuts/seeds, herbs, and other powdered ingredients that can be used to cleanse and exfoliate your face.
Why not soap?
Soap is too drying to our skin because it’s pH is much higher than that of the protective layer on our skin.
What does the skin need?
- Exfoliation of dead skin from top layer
- Mild drawing out of dead skin, dirt and other residues above from upper layers
- To be able to breathe freely
- To produce enough oil to lubricate and protect
One can make your own cleansing grains blend,but here are a few to get you started.
- 2 cups kaolin clay
- 1 cup finely ground oats
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/8 cup finely ground lavender
- 1/8 cup finely ground roses
- 1 cup French Green clay
- 1 cup Kaolin clay
- 1/2 cup finely ground oatmeal
- 1/2 Amaranth
- 1 cup combination of the following herbs: thyme, spilanthes, sage, elder flowers, comfrey leaf
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/2 cup finely ground rose petals
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons orange peel powder
- 1/2 cup kaolin clay
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup finely ground rose petals
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup kaolin clay
- 1/4 cup milk powder
Directions for all the Cleansing Grains recipes:
Use an electric grinder or mortar and pestle to grind the herbs and other Ingredients individually to a coarse to fine powder, depending upon your preference. I prefer a more fine textured mix. Once all ingredients are powdered, measure by weight and combine the ingredients into one bowl. Once you have everything combined, mix together until well blended.
Package in a small, sealable air tight container.
How To Use Cleansing grains:
Combine 1-2 tsp. of cleansing grains with water and make into a paste. Massage onto the face and rinse off with warm water. If using as a face mask, leave on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off.
If using cleansing grains for a mask, try replacing the water with other goodies from your kitchen for their added benefits, such as raw honey (very moisturizing, yet incredibly healing for acne), yogurt or milk (the lactic acid is gently exfoliating, plus probiotics), mashed avocado (super moisturizing), your favorite hydrosol (flower water), fresh cucumber juice (soothing, reduces redness and puffiness) or whatever is comfortable for your skin.
Shelf-life & Safety
Store in a cool, dry place and avoid humidity or moisture from entering the jar.
There are no broad-spectrum preservatives added to these Cleansing Grains formula, so it is important not to allow water or moisture to enter the packaging and contaminate the product. Because it contains dried botanical ingredients, once water is introduced it creates an ideal environment for bacteria and microorganisms to grow. Water should only be added to a small amount of the Cleansing Grains just prior to use. Consume quickly.
The At home spa series of posts to continue……….