- 75 gm roasted peeled hazelnuts
- 75 gm hazelnut meal
- 50 gm Dutch-process cocoa
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm eggwhite (from about 3 eggs)
- 30 gm plain flour
- 100 gm dark chocolate (60%-66% cocoa solids)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Process hazelnuts in a food processor to a fine powder and transfer to a bowl.
- Add hazelnut meal, cocoa, sugar and flour, and mix with your hands. Pour eggwhite into dry ingredients and use your hands to form a loose batter.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm fluted nozzle and pipe 22 teardrop shapes of 3cm diameter and 4cm high onto the prepared tray, leaving about 4cm between each. Stand until set (1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 150C. Bake baci until the outsides feel crisp but the centres are still soft (15-20 minutes).
- Cool on tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (4 minutes), dip baci bases into chocolate and stick pairs together, then refrigerate to set (10 minutes). Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.