- 3 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 cups mixed fresh mushrooms (bellas, morels, shiitake, et) minced (if you use dried soak them for at least an hour in cool water first)
- 1 cup mushrooms coarsely chopped (yes, another cup)
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/3 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/3 tsp ground pepper
- 2 oz burgundy or heavy red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup sour cream or unsweetened yogurt optional
- In large stock pot, melt the butter. n large stock pot, melt butter. Add in onions and sauté until the onions are clear. Add in all mushrooms and stir. The minced mushrooms create a pulpy base, and the chopped mushrooms just add extra texture. Add in burgundy, dill, celery, paprika, tamari, pepper and garlic. Stir until fragrant, just a moment or so. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour. Adjust spices and mix in sour cream just before serving.
Healing Energetics: Mushrooms have a long and rich history as immune and vitality enhancers. They are used to treat cancers, counter autoimmune disorders. They are packed with valuable minerals such as selenium. Most mushrooms drain or transform damp. This soup nourishes yin, blood and qi. Made with the beef broth it is particularly Blood building. The paprika, pepper and celery salt help to move the Qi and Blood, furthering improved transformation and transportation. Though there is a bit of cream in this soup it is not overly dampening. You can leave out the cream if you are trying to counter damp.