- 3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces/45 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces/60 grams) natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces/90 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips or chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons (2.6 ounces/75 grams) granulated sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces/250 milliliters) whole milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces/250 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces/60 milliliters) amaretto*
- In medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the cocoa cook until a smooth paste forms, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and cream until combined.
- Add the chopped chocolate or chips and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. If a skin forms, skim it off the top with a spoon.
- Proceed with recipe. If using alcohol, substitute the brandy with 1/4 cup (2 ounces/60 milliliters) amaretto. Serve warm or cold.