Cauliflower, potato, fennel and chilli cheese croquettes
- 2 baking potatoes
- 175g of cauliflower florets
- 100g of mature cheddar, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- salt, to taste
- 2 pinches of black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50g of plain flour, you may need extra
- Panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat an oven to 190°C.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray, prick a few times with a fork then place in the oven for about 1 hour, or until fluffy and cooked through.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides and place in a large bowl.
- Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket set over water and steam for 7–10 minutes or until tender, then leave to cool. Mash the cauliflower lightly with a fork and add it to the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle in the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, chilli, salt and black pepper and mix well. Add the cubes of cheese and gently toss the mixture until evenly combined.
- Make even sized ‘sausages’ with the croquette mixture, then roll and coat them in plain flour, then the egg and finally coat the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place the croquettes in the fridge to chill and set for 30–60 minutes. When you are ready to fry them, heat the oil in deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan.
- Deep fry the croquettes for 2–3 minutes or until golden, then transfer onto kitchen paper with a slotted spoon. Serve immediately.