- 4 eggs
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 245 gm plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 115 gm unsalted butter
- 220 ml canned coconut milk
- 100 gm shredded coconut
- 125 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) passionfruit pulp (from about 3 passionfruit)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- For passionfruit curd, stir ingredients continuously in a small saucepan over low heat until mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon (5-6 minutes).
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate to chill. Passionfruit curd will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two 12-cup muffin tins (80ml per cup) with cupcake cases.
- Combine eggs and sugar in an electric mixer bowl, place over a saucepan of hot water and stir continuously until eggs are warm to touch (2-3 minutes).
- Place on the mixer and whisk on high speed until pale, frothy and tripled in volume (8-10 minutes). Sieve flour, baking powder and 1 tsp salt in and slowly whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then stir in coconut milk and keep warm over low heat.
- Spoon 1 cup batter into coconut milk mixture and stir to combine, then pour mixture into remaining batter, add shredded coconut and fold to combine.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake until golden brown, and centres spring back when gently pressed (10-12 minutes). Cool on a wire rack, then serve topped with a dollop of passionfruit curd.