Serve these spiced fish with a dressing made with buttermilk to cut through the richness of the mackerel.
- 6 whole mackerel (about 275g each), cleaned and gutted
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 3 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Tomato salad dressed with buttermilk
- Heat your grill to its highest setting.
- Using a sharp knife, make 3 slashes on both sides of each mackerel.
- With a fork, mash the remaining ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub the spiced butter all over the mackerel, including inside their cavities and into the slashes.
- Cover a grill tray with foil (for easier cleaning) and place the mackerel on it.
- Grill for 4 minutes on each side, until the fish is cooked through. (Domestic grills vary a lot and this cooking time works for my grill, which does get very hot. You might have to increase the time, but be careful not to burn the skin.)
Source: Diana Henry