- 20 pieces day-old brioche or croissants
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit soaked in alcohol
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 500mL milk
- 500mL cream
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 heap tbsp allspice
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g cashews, chopped
- 300mL alcohol of your choice
- 150g marzipan (optional)
- 50g dark fruit cake (optional)
• festive sprinkles
- In a large bowl, mix the cream, milk, vanilla, eggs, allspice, sugar, flour, cornflour, butter and a pinch of salt until well combined. Tear up the bread into pieces and add into the liquid mixture. Leave to soak for at least 30 min, preferably longer.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a Bundt cake tin with cooking oil.
- Once the bread has soaked in the liquid, add ½ the alcohol and cashews and stir. Transfer ½ the mixture into the tin and evenly layer the soaked fruit and dark fruit cake over the top. Cover with the remaining bread mixture and top with the marzipan and leftover fruit.
- Bake with a water bath under the tin in the oven for 35–40 min, or until cooked through. Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 min.
- Pour over the remaining alcohol and leave to set overnight before slicing and eating.
- I like to garnish my bread pudding with Christmas tree and snowflake sprinkles. If you can’t get ahold of them, dust some icing sugar on top for a snowfall effect.