- 500gm cooked haddock or cod fillets, skin removed & roughly flaked
- 500 gm baby potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 40gm butter
- 1 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon baby capers, rinsed
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice garlic & capers in a bowl and mix well.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and roughly mash.
- Add the cooked flaked fish, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, eggs, lemon rind, parsley and horseradish to the potato, combine and season to taste.
- Form 4 patties with the mixture and press into the extra breadcrumbs.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook the patties in batches for 3-4 minutes a side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with the mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
Note: Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, and let cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add vermouth (optional) and 2 tablespoons water.Turn heat to low, cover and cook until fish is just barely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.