- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon clove, freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, sliced into 1/8”-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped into pea-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 1 large egg, beaten for egg wash
- coarse white sparkling sugar, optional
- Set your oven rack on a rung in the top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
- Weigh out your flour; measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground dry spices.
- Add the cold butter, tossing to coat with the dry ingredients. Then press the butter pieces between your thumbs and forefingers into small flat pieces, or “leaves.”
- Add the ginger and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cream and brown sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until the mixture is just combined. The dough should be firm and barely cohesive (some dry bits are OK).
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, and fold a few times to incorporate any dry bits if necessary.
- Pat the dough into a circle 1″ thick and 7″ across. You may chill the dough until set for easier cutting.
- Cut the dough into eight wedges with a chef’s knife, cutting directly down; don’t saw. Arrange the scones evenly on the prepared pan.
- Brush the scones with the egg wash and garnish with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes on the top rack, rotating after 14 minutes, until they’re light gold and firm to the touch.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and serve warm or at room temperature. Store baked scones, well wrapped, at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea!!!