Use this master recipe as the starting point and add your choice from the glazes that follow.
- 1 leg ham (about 7kg)
Chipotle, lime and pineapple glaze
- Combine chopped flesh of ½ pineapple with the juice of 2 limes, 180gm crushed light palm sugar and 2 jarred chipotle chillies in a blender. Pound 1 cup coriander and sea salt in a mortar and pestle, then add to pineapple mixture to taste. Baste ham as it roasts.
Spiced marmalade glaze
- Process 250ml freshly squeezed orange juice, 120gm marmalade, 100ml golden rum, 2 tbsp coarsely chopped thyme, 1 golden shallot, 1 garlic clove, 1 fresh bay leaf and 1 habanero chilli in a food processor until very smooth, then season to taste. Place ham in a roasting pan and baste with glaze every 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Follow the instructions to make your choice of glaze and set aside.
- Peel back skin from the ham, being careful not to tear the fat. Use a sharp knife to score around the shank, then detach the skin and reserve (use it to cover leftover ham to help prevent it from drying out).
- Score the fat (not the flesh) evenly with a small sharp knife, maintaining an even depth all over. You can either score in a crisscross pattern to form diamonds or in parallel lines.
- Place ham in a large roasting pan with a cup of water, then follow glazing and basting instructions, and bake until sticky, golden and warmed through (1-1½ hours). Rest for 30 minutes before carving.