- 2 small carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 600 gm coarsely minced lamb
- 200 gm coarsely minced chicken
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 40 gm (½ cup) sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, plus 1 extra, lightly beaten for eggwash
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry
- 2 tbsp nigella seeds
- 250 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus extra
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine carrot and half the oil in a bowl, season to taste, spread over a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover loosely with foil and roast until tender (30-35 minutes).
- Remove foil and roast until very tender and golden brown (8-10 minutes). Cool, then process in a small food processor and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat, sauté onion until softened and translucent (6-7 minutes).
- Set aside to cool. Combine currants, vinegar and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and set aside to soak until plump (15 minutes), then drain.
- Combine lamb, chicken, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic, spices, lemon rind, egg, carrot and onion in a bowl, season to taste and mix well.
- Roll each pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick.
- Form a 2.5cm-thick cylinder of lamb mixture on each sheet of pastry 1.5cm from the edge, brush pastry with eggwash, then roll to enclose, press to seal and trim at seam.
- Transfer to a tray, refrigerate to chill and firm (30 minutes), then trim ends and cut each roll into 5cm lengths.
- Place on baking trays lined with baking paper, score tops with a sharp knife, brush with eggwash, scatter with nigella seeds and bake until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
- Meanwhile for yoghurt sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stir to combine.
- Serve scattered with extra mint and rind with hot sausage rolls.