- 225 gm pumpkin, coarsely grated
- 225 gm (1½ cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp white sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander
- 2 long green chillies, finely chopped
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- To serve: tomato chutney
- Place pumpkin in a bowl, scatter with 1 tbsp sea salt, cover and set aside (30 minutes). Squeeze excess liquid from pumpkin and set aside.
- Combine flour, yeast, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl, then stir in milk and egg. Stir through coriander, green chilli, pumpkin and ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, then cover and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size (1 hour).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large deep saucepan or deep fryer to 180C. Deep-fry spoonfuls of batter in batches, turning once, until golden (4-5 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper, season and serve immediately with tomato chutney.