- 2 1/4 cups + 2 Tbsp cake flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (14 g) freeze dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unflavored shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pink gel food coloring , optional
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 1/3 cup (5 g) freeze dried strawberries
- 3 Tbsp fresh strawberry puree (from about 3/4 cup fresh)
- 1 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup freeze dried strawberries to a food processor and pulse until ground into a fine powder.
- Sift ground strawberries through a fine mesh strainer (to remove seeds and the few small pieces remaining) into the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, shortening and sugar on medium speed until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Mix in egg, then mix in egg white and vanilla.
- Blend in food coloring if desired. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 during the last 10 minutes of refrigeration.
- Scoop dough out about 3 Tbsp (50 g each) at a time and roll into a ball.
- Place dough ball on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle top lightly with flour, then using something flat and smooth (such as the storage container lid), press and evenly flatten dough to about 1/3-inch thick (so you should have about a 2 3/4 ” circle. Alternately if desired, you could roll the dough and cut with a circle cookie cutter, but if you are rolling it thinner than 1/3-inch you may need to reduce the baking time).
- Transfer flattened dough to a Silpat or buttered cookie sheet and repeat process with remaining dough (you’ll have to use 2 cookie sheets). Bake in preheated oven 8 – 9 minutes.
- Allow to cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Strawberry Frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, pulse 1/3 cup freeze dried strawberries in the food processor until finely ground.
- Using a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds, sift freeze dried strawberries over butter and mix to combined.
- Stir in 3 Tbsp fresh strawberry puree, lime or lemon juice and vanilla extract (mixture will look separated and that’s okay).
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar and whip until well combined.
Yields 14 cookies
Credit cooking classy