PEAR & CRANBERRY CAKE
For the Poached Pears:
- 3 fresh pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Place 1 cup sugar and 4 cups water with the cinnamon sticks in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peal the pears.
- Once the liquid reaches a boil, add the pears and turn heat to medium-low.
- Simmer pears about 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove from poaching liquid, core, and chop.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid.
For the Pear & Cranberry Cake:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or canola)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cardamon, clove, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix about 5 minutes on medium-high.
- With the mixer on low, add in the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, carefully alternate in the dry ingredients and the 1/4 cup reserved poaching liquid in two batches.
- Fold in the chopped pears and cranberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 until centers are done (about 24 minutes for 4 X 6inch pans).
For the Mascarpone Frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup mascarpone, softened
- 5 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Cream the butter and mascarpone with an electric mixer.
- Carefully add in the remaining ingredients and mix until light and creamy.
To Assemble Cake:
Stack cake layers alternating with the mascarpone frosting. Sprinkle top edge with gold sanding sugar, if desired.
Recipe : Tessa Huff