Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 6 pieces of chicken drumsticks
- 4-6 shallots, halved or if small left whole
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml chicken stock
- Large handful mixed herbs: tarragon, oregano, marjoram, thyme, very finely chopped
- 2 bunches (handful) red grapes
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter each. Pour the rest of the oil and butter in a small mixing bowl, crush 2 garlic cloves and add the herbs to make a thick basting paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and remaining butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Throw in the shallots and 2 garlic clove to infuse the oil-butter mixture in the pan.
- Brush the chicken lightly with the herb basting paste and season to taste. Add the pieces to the pan and fry until golden on both sides. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Place the carrots and parsnips around the chicken and lightly brush the vegetables with the herb mixture too. Pour wine and stock – first only 100 ml each, then place the roasting pan into the oven.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on how large the chicken pieces are), brushing the chicken with the herb mixture in between and adding more liquid if required. After the 25 minutes are through, add the grapes also brushing them with the herb mixture, pouring more liquid and then roasting for a further 20 minutes until caramelised.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.